A car accident can happen in the blink of an eye. Even with the safety improvements over the last few decades, driving a motor vehicle is still one of the riskiest activities Americans engage in day-to-day. However, being aware of the top five causes of car accidents in Michigan can help drivers avoid potentially devastating consequences.
If you have been involved in a car accident, contact an experienced Detroit personal injury lawyer to help you recover compensation for your losses. The impact on your life can be devastating. We will handle the legal issues while you focus on recovery. Call Davis Injury Lawyers today at (313) 462-7979.
2015 Michigan Traffic Crash Facts
On average, a motor vehicle crash is reported every two minutes in Michigan. In 2015 alone, there nearly 300,000 motor vehicle accidents resulting in 74,157 injuries and 963 deaths. The number of crashes, injuries, deaths, have all increased from the prior year.
Though roadways and the motor vehicle itself can certainly play a role in a car accident, driver error is the chief cause in the majority of motor vehicle crashes. According to the Michigan State Police, 78.3 percent of accidents occurred on dry roadways and 63.7 percent during clear weather conditions.
Common Causes of Michigan Car Accidents
The top five causes of motor vehicle accidents listed below are based on the most recent data from Michigan State Police Criminal Justice Information Center.
- Speeding – Resulted in 6,550 injuries and 196 fatalities in 2015.
- Alcohol – Of the 893 fatal crashes in Michigan in 2015, 30.3 percent involved alcohol. Alcohol-related crashes are often more severe, resulting in more fatalities and incapacitating injuries on average.
- Careless driving – This means that the driver is not operating a vehicle in a safe or responsible manner. An example is using a cell phone while driving. Cell phone use a contributing factor in 753 crashes in 2015, three of which were fatal.
- Failure to Yield Right of Way – Resulted in 11,208 injuries and 93 fatalities in 2015.
- Reckless/Aggressive Driving – This means operating a vehicle in a way that is a violation of traffic laws and likely to endanger persons or property. Reckless driving can include tailgating, disregarding traffic control signals or signs, swerving in and out of traffic, or making improper turns.
How Our Michigan Car Accident Lawyers Can Help
Being involved in a car accident is an incredibly stressful and frightening experience. If you have been hurt in an auto collision caused by another driver’s negligent or reckless actions, you may be able to receive compensation for your injuries.
At Davis Injury Lawyers, we understand how overwhelming it can be to manage the financial, physical, and emotional fallout that comes with a serious accident. Our skilled car accident attorneys can take on the burden of pursuing a personal injury claim while you focus on recovery. We are here to help guide you through every step of the legal process and fight for the compensation you deserve for your injuries.
Our legal team has extensive experience handling personal injury claims involving a wide variety of motor vehicle accidents. Depending on the specific facts of your case, we may be able to help you recover compensation for:
- Medical bills
- Lost wages
- Emotional distress
- Pain and suffering
- Disability and disfigurement
- Loss of enjoyment of normal life
- Loss of your relationship with your spouse
- Wrongful death of your spouse, parent, or child
If you or a loved one has been injured in a car accident, call us today at (313) 462-7979 for a free consultation and learn more about how we can help.