Detroit Uber Accident Lawyer
Uber Accident LawyerGet Help Now. Dial Davis. Call (888) Dial Davis
Ridesharing services meant to increase safety on the roads and for pedestrians instead have been linked to rising car accidents in some national research.
Recent studies show that services provided by Uber, Lyft, and other ride-hailing companies have cut into the numbers of drunk-driving crashes, but car accidents overall have increased, especially at pick-up and drop off locations. Researchers place most of the blame for the uptick on distracted drivers and pedestrians but inexperienced rideshare contractors also play a part.
No matter how the accident happens, if you’re hurt in an Uber or Lyft rideshare crash, you’ll need compensation to deal with your injuries and any property damage. But the complexities around liability when ridesharing can be difficult to understand. Don’t try. Let our Detroit Uber accident lawyers at Davis Injury Lawyers, PLLC handle your case and maximize your results.
What Davis Injury Lawyers Can Do For You After an Uber Accident
We understand that hiring a lawyer after a rideshare accident might be the last thing you want to do. You’re hurt, stressed, and just want to be paid for your damages so you can get your life back together. We get it. But without an experienced personal injury attorney, you likely won’t get the maximum compensation for your injuries that you deserve.
By working with Davis Injury Lawyers, you receive:
- Personal treatment. Your case is not the same as any other personal injury case and shouldn’t receive “cookie cutter” representation as if it is.
- Thorough investigation. Our rideshare accident attorneys will work hard to find the evidence of who was at fault and liable for your injuries.
- Expert assistance. We know who to count on if your case needs expert testimony.
- Legal analysis. Trust us to build the strongest case possible based on our experience. This includes understanding insurance law to determine who is liable.
- Skilled negotiation. Most cases settle so we know how important it is to negotiate a full and fair settlement of your claims.
- Timely filing. But if we can’t settle your case, we aren’t afraid to go to court. All the filing deadlines to keep that option open will be met.
- Trial Representation. For those few times when settlement isn’t an option, we’ve got you covered at court. We’ll fight to get you the compensation you deserve.
What to Do If You’re In a Rideshare Accident
Car crashes in Wayne County average around 54,000 yearly according to Michigan State Police data. There’s a good chance with that many accidents and the congestion in and around Detroit that you could be in one with Uber or Lyft drivers.
If you are in a crash while using a ride-hailing service, take these steps for the sake of your health and safety and to protect any legal claim you might have:
- Don’t start moving too quickly right after impact. Try to assess how you are feeling so you don’t aggravate an injury.
- Try to discern if staying in the vehicle is a safe proposition or it would be better, if possible, to get off the road.
- Don’t shrug off even a minor accident and refuse treatment. Sometimes injuries don’t present for a few days. Always seek medical treatment.
- When you seek treatment, make sure you tell health providers all your injuries.
- Watch what you say after an accident. Insurance adjusters are looking for a quick settlement of claims and may ask for statements and push releases on you.
- Contact your own insurer and notify it of the accident. Your policy may require you do so in a specific amount of time. Don’t delay.
- Keep good records. Get a copy of any police report. If able at the scene, record or photograph the scene. If there’s witnesses, get their names and contact info.
- Always keep receipts and documents related to your medical care.
Basics of Michigan Uber Laws
Just a few years ago, there was little regulation of rideshare company practices and policies. But in 2017, the Michigan legislature passed a bill imposing new regulations on these companies. Requirements include:
- Drivers working for rideshare companies must have $50,000 of insurance coverage for accidents that happen when a driver is logged into the app and waiting for ride requests. Insurance coverage of at least $1 million for accidents that occur while transporting passengers.
- Drivers can provide their own insurance coverage meeting these requirements or it can be provided by Uber or Lyft.
- Drivers must maintain no-fault insurance and property damage liability coverage.
- Rideshare companies must perform background checks on drivers and drivers must submit vehicles to regular inspections.
Identifying Who May Be at Fault in a Rideshare Accident
One reason you need to work with our Uber accident attorneys is because determining who is at fault in a rideshare incident can be difficult. Knowing who to pursue for compensation for your injuries is important. Likely there will be insurance to cover any damages but whose insurance is on the hook?
- No-Fault Benefits – A passenger in an Uber or a pedestrian or cyclist hit by one, generally may look to their own No-Fault insurance policy for medical expenses and lost wages. Sometimes medical expenses may be covered by your major medical policy; however, they may want their money back if you get a settlement.
- Driver Insurance – Those hurt in rideshare accidents could also collect benefits from the auto insurance company that covers the Uber or Lyft vehicle.
- At-Fault Party – Compensation can also be obtained from the party at-fault for the accident.
- Rideshare Company Insurance — If an uninsured or underinsured non-Uber driver was at-fault, then coverage would be provided via the $1 million limited liability policy of the company.
Compensation from a Rideshare Accident
The kinds of compensation you might receive after being in an Uber or Lyft car accident will vary depending on your circumstances. Generally, you can recover:
- Past and future medical expenses, including any deductibles, co-pays, or other out-of-pocket expenses
- Lost wages and lost earning potential, which covers the time off work during your recovery and if you are disabled, compensation for what you could have made had you not been injured
- Pain and suffering, including for lost quality of life due to: physical and emotional upset caused by your injuries, disabilities that prevent enjoyment of life, loss of companionship for you or your spouse
- Property damaged in the accident
When You’ve Been Hurt in a Rideshare Accident, We Can Help
One moment you’re off to a meeting in an Uber, or headed home from a nightclub in a Lyft, and the next you’re in an accident. Or you’re crossing a street and are hit by a rideshare vehicle. Life changes in a flash. You may not be sure how to handle your legal claim while also dealing with the aftermath of a car accident. Let us help.
Davis Injury Lawyers, PLLC, can focus on your personal injury claim while you recover. We have the experience and knowledge needed to maximize your compensation. Call us at (313) 462-7979 or use our online form to schedule a free consultation.